1996-2001 Ph.D. in Bioengineering, University of Utah. Supervisor: Richard A. Normann. “Advances towards an implantable motor cortical interface”
1995-1996 Ph.D. Program in Neural Computation, Hebrew University, Israel
1989-1992 B.Sc. in Physics, Tel Aviv University, Israel
2010- Associate Prof. (tenured), Faculty of Biomedical Engineering, The Technion – Israel Institute of Technology. Adjunct appointment: School of Medicine.
2005–2010 Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Biomedical Engineering, The Technion – Israel Institute of Technology.
2001- 2005 Lewis-Thomas postdoctoral fellow, Department of Molecular Biology, Princeton University. Research with Samuel S.-H. Wang: A system for patterned uncaging and two-photon microscopy.
Shy Shoham is an Associate Professor at the Department of Biomedical Engineering and the School of Medicine (adjunct) in the Technion - Israel Institute of Technology. He was born in in Rehovot, Israel in September 1973, and holds a B.Sc. degree in Physics from Tel Aviv University and a Ph.D. in Bioengineering from the University of Utah. After completing his Ph.D., he was a Lewis-Thomas postdoctoral fellow at the department of Molecular Biology, Princeton University. In March 2005 he joined the Technion's faculty of Biomedical Engineering, where he established the Neural Interface Engineering laboratory. He is a member of the editorial board of the Journal of Neural Engineering, and a recipient of a prestigious starting grant from the European Research Council.
- Neural Engineering: design and application of massively-parallel optical and acoustic neural interfaces.
- Computational Neuroscience: analysis and control of neural signals.
- Biomedical Optics and Acoustics: wave propagation and tissue interactions.
Current projects in my laboratory focus on the development of new holographic patterned stimulation tools for an implant-less retinal prosthesis that will restore vision in blindness resulting from outer-retinal degenerative diseases. I am also interested in imaging and analyzing the activity of large populations of neurons in the visual cortex, and in the development of a "brain-in-a-chip" technology.
- Dana H. & Shoham S. Numerical evaluation of temporal focusing characterisics in transparent and scattering media, Optics Express (2011)
- Krasovitski B, Frenkel V, Shoham S & Kimmel E, Intramembrane cavitation as a unifying mechanism for ultrasound induced bioeffects, PNAS (2011)
- Shoham S, Optogenetics meets optical wavefront shaping (News & Views), Nature Methods 7(10), 798-799 (2010)
- Herzberg Y*, Naor O*, Volovick A and Shoham S, Towards multifocal ultrasonic neural stimulation: pattern generation algorithms, Journal of Neural Engineering 7 056002 (2010)
- Krumin M, Shimron A and Shoham S, Correlation-distortion based identification of Linear-Nonlinear-Poisson models, Journal of Computational Neuroscience 29(1), 301-8 (2010)
- Krumin M and Shoham S, Generation of spike trains with controlled auto- and cross-correlation functions, Neural Computation 21(6), 1642-1664 (2009)
- Golan L, Reutsky I, Farah N and Shoham S, Design and Characteristics of Holographic Photo-stimulation Systems, Journal of Neural Engineering 6(6), 66004. (2009).
- Golan L and Shoham S, Speckle elimination using shift-averaging in high-rate holographic projection, Optics Express 17, 1330-1339 (2009)
- Sarig-Nadir O*, Livnat N*, Zajdman R, Shoham S and Seliktar D, Laser photoablation of guidance microchannels into hydrogels directs cell growth in 3-D, Biophysical Journal,96, 4743-4752 (2009)
- Shoham S*, O’Connor DH*, Sarkisov DV and Wang SSH, Rapid neurotransmitter uncaging in spatially defined patterns, Nature Methods 2(11), 837-843 (2005)
- Lin L*, Osan R*, Shoham S, Zuo W, Jin W & Tsien JZ, Identification of network-level coding units for real-time representation of episodic experiences in the hippocampus, PNAS 102, 6125-6130 (2005)
- Shoham S, Paninski L, Fellows MR, Hatsopoulos NG, Donoghue JP and Normann RA, Statistical encoding model for a primary motor cortical Brain-Machine Interface, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering 52(7), 1312-1322 (2005)
- Shoham S, Fellows MR and Normann RA, Robust, automatic spike sorting using mixtures of multivariate t-distributions, Journal of Neuroscience Methods, 127(2), 111-122 (2003)
- Shoham S, Halgren E, Maynard EM, and Normann RA, Motor-cortical activity in tetraplegics, Nature, 413, 793 (2001)